Thursday, May 7, 2009

RUN RAPID RUN!


I finally got out and fished a bit last Sunday. This is Rapid Creek by Placerville Church Camp, and boy was it flying down the canyon. I hooked on fish. A good one that stole my Red Fox Squirrel nymph. Other than that, I found the water to be to quick to fish. That being said, I love to see the water. After so many years of low flows, I get giddy when I see the stream up like this.

Over the course of this week the Bureau of Reclamation has been dropping the flows a bit every day this week. We should see the stretch by Placerville in great fishing shape in a week or so. The best fishing on Rapid Creek is within a mile of the dam.

I haven't hit up any other streams lately, but I hear that parts of Spearfish Creek are starting to fish well. Castle Creek has also been productive for some.

Without a doubt this will be a great year for fishing. The middle of May and early June should really be the kickoff for stream fishing. Get ready for the caddis hatches, they should be great.

No comments: