Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Hatch Time

It is hatch time- or one of them anyway. It may be hot or warm, definitely not as hot summers past, but the caddis, myriad yellow mayflies, and little yellow stones are hatching. Fish feeding on top is what keeps us throwing sloppy nymph rigs the rest of the year.

I like fishing the Sulphurs, PMDs, and PEDs that we get this time of year. The fish below Pactola are picky, but fooling one of them on a size 16 dun or spinner pattern is an annual highlight. I need to dig into my entomology books and find out what genus these bugs are below Pactola. I keep calling them PMDs or whatever. I know it doesn't matter, but I am the guy who is supposed to know. There are several species hatching daily and they last for several weeks. I usually opt for a CDC dun with a pale yellow or tannish yellow body in sizes 16-20. The fish generally take this pattern, or at least they did last year.

Well, I will quit rambling about yellow mayflies. Get out there and enjoy these hatches. The yellow stones have been fun, tricos have started in town and on Spring creek, and the fish are starting to eat terrestrials. Don't miss out on some of the best opportunities of the season

No comments: